Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Consumption That Consumes Me

     It’s my only full day off of the week and the baby is napping peacefully upstairs while my wife is  preoccupied by some crafting project for our boy’s first birthday party. And where do I find myself during that sacred window of quiet free time? Well in my kitchen, of course!
It’s a place of comfort for me i guess, as it is for many. But i’m always in and out of a kitchen at home and moreso at work. I just can’t ever be too far from food and what’s needed to prepare it I guess. Ha. I had to take a step back to realize that I am always preoccupied by consumption of one kind or another. My work finds me constantly staring at people while they eat and drink, some of them with horrible table manners, and I’m okay with it for some reason. And while constantly running from table to table to kitchen and back to dining room, in the back of my mind I’m always strategizing when I can steal another sip of my coffee (or in the past a quick smoke. i miss those moments at times!) or sneak in some lunch and later maybe a small dinner for myself. 
    
       I catch myself sharpening a few of my knives while waiting for coffee to brew and pondering what I should make for dinner later this evening.  Without getting too introspective, what is this passive preoccupation with consumption that rules my life? I don’t know, but I can’t wait to chug some beers later. Haha. Ahhh, and that fresh pot of coffee is ready for me to drain. It’s a small batch of locally roasted Viennese Columbian from the Baltimore Coffee Company to be exact. *gulp* Another cup please.
     So, while millions of others around the world enjoy another Tuesday night dinner with chopsticks sticking out of their Chinese takeout box watching the anticipated oh-so-exciting edition of (cue Ryan Seacrest) “This is American Idol”, I will be putting my newly honed knives’ edges to work  filling my precious time preparing a delicious gourmet dinner, while consuming many beers and probably a nice glass of wine with my wife of course.  
     And tomorrow is yet another day sure to be filled with many sips and bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment